Creating a Cart-Abandonment Remarketing Campaign Using Facebook Ads
Remarketing campaigns are perhaps the first type of paid campaign you should start running if you already have consistent website traffic. Cart abandonments are easy-to-capture revenue opportunities. The goal is to create a simple Facebook ads campaign that targets those who are closest to purchase.
This is done when you have a significant number of people going through your checkout flow and want to implement a process to bring a portion of them back to your site (and complete their purchase.)
Facebook retargeting is a PPC strategy where you show your ads to people who are familiar with your brand. They’ve either previously visited your website or interacted with your Facebook or Instagram page.
Simply put, retargeting shows your ads to people who already know about you. Its purpose is to try to get them to act.
Below are the steps in creating a Cart-Abandonment Remarketing Campaign Using Facebook Ads;
Creating a Custom Conversion
In this step, you will create a conversion for the purchase of your product. This will allow you to optimize your campaign for this conversion.
Open your Facebook Ads Manager click the squared dots menu > ‘Events Manager’
2. On the sidebar, confirm that you are on the correct Business Manager on the top dropdown and click on “Custom Conversions”
3. Click “Create Custom Conversion”
4. Set up your custom conversion:
Give your conversion a name like “Purchased [name of your product]”.
Select the Data Source (Your Business’ Pixel)
Under the “URL Contains” field, write the URL of the thank you page your customers are redirected to after purchase. Next, select “Purchase” as the conversion category.
You can also choose to attribute a value to your conversion.
5. You will get a success message, click ‘Done’
6. You will see your custom conversion with a “No Activity Yet” (or “Inactive”) notification under “Status”
7. Visit the thank you page on your browser to activate the custom conversion. Then, refresh the Facebook Ads Manager page and the status should have changed to “Active”
Creating a Remarketing Audience
In this step, you will create your remarketing audience.
Go to “Audiences” from the top navigation menu.
2. Click on “Create Audience” and select “Custom Audience”
3. Choose “Website” from the options available.
4. Select to include “People who visited specific web pages” instead of “All website visitors” and write the URL for your checkout page under the URL field. Next, click on “Exclude.” Select to include “People who visited specific web pages” instead of “All website visitors” and write the URL for your thank you page under the URL field.
5. Give your audience a name like “Abandoned carts for [name of your product]” and click on “Create Audience”, you will get a success message:
Preparing Your Campaign Assets
If this is your first cart-abandonment campaign, we recommend that you start with the simplest ad format: single image. However, it’s best practice to test different ads on each campaign you run.
Prepare 2 images to use for the campaign, with the following specifications:
Dimensions: 1,200 x 628 pixels
No more than 20% of text on the image. You can use Facebook’s text overlay tool to check.
Prepare 2 versions of ad copy.
These will be the versions or variations of your ads:
Variation #1: Image 1 + Copy 1
Variation #2: Image 1 + Copy 2
Variation #3: Image 2 + Copy 1
Variation #4: Image 2 + Copy 2
Creating Your Ad Campaign
In this step, you will set up your advertising campaign.
Choose “Conversions” as your campaign objective.
3. For “Campaign Name”, use the following nomenclature: Remarketing - [Product name]
4. Click “Continue” to move on to the creation of your ad set.
5. For “Ad Set Name”, use the following nomenclature: Remarketing - [Product name] - Abandoned Cart
6. Under “Conversion”, select “Website”, and choose the custom conversion you recently created.
7. Under “Custom Audiences”, choose the custom audience you recently created.
[Optional] You can choose to further segment your audience by location, age, gender, language, or interests.
8. Under “Placements”, you can start with “Automatic Placements”.
9. Choose a budget between $10 and $20 per day and run your ads continuously. Verify that the campaign is optimizing for conversions, and set a conversion window of 1 day after clicking. Finally, set a bid cap that’s lower than the revenue generated by a product sale.
10. Click “Continue” to move on to ad creation.
11. For “Ad Name”, use the following nomenclature: Remarketing - [Product name] - Abandoned Cart - [Ad variation]
12. Select your Facebook page from the drop down and choose whether to use the Facebook page for Instagram ads or connect an Instagram account.
13. Select “Single Image” ad and ad format.
14. Upload one of the images that you prepared for the ad.
15. Input your ad information:
Destination URL. We recommend that you use UTM parameters to be able to track the performance of your campaign in Google Analytics (you can use our UTM tagging SOP to do that)
Call To Action
News Feed Link Description
16. Scroll through the different ad variations to verify that everything looks ok.
17. Confirm the creation of your ad.
18. Click on the “Ads” tab within the Ads Manager
19. Hover over the ad you just created and click “Duplicate”
20. Don’t make changes to the Campaign or Ad Set, and click to edit the Ad. You will need to repeat steps 12-18 to set up a new ad variation.
21. Continue duplicating the ad until you’ve set up all variations..
If you need assistance in creating a cart-abandonment remarketing campaign using Facebook Ads, send us a message and we are more than willing to help.
DigitalxMarketing provides Digital Strategy, Digital Services, Training and Education to Business Owners, Executives and Marketers. As a DigitalMarketer Partner, we provide the World's leading digital marketing training and up-to-date tools & resources.